Unfortunately, Shopify’s default functionality does not yet offer customer group-based automatic discounts, but allows you to create customer group and group-based discount codes.
You just have to take into account that the discount does not apply to the customer automatically, ie the customer must enter the discount code when making a purchase in order to receive the discount.
How to create a customer groups in Shopify store?
- Go to “Customers” section in your Shopify store admin view and filter customers based on group rules which you would like to create.
- After filtering, you’ll see a button labeled Save filters at the top right. By clicking on it, you can save the group. From now on, new customers in the saved group will already be automatically assigned based on the same filtering.
In the following video guide, I’m going to create a demo group for active customers, ie customers who have registered for an account in the e-shop.
How do I create a discount code for a new customer group?
- Go to the Discounts subsection in your store admin view.
- Leave the already selected Discount codes as the discount code type. (Do not select the Automatic discounts type)
- Click the Create discount button and the discount code creation view will open.
- Enter the code that the customer must enter in the purchase view in the Discount code field.
- Make selections according to the business logic of your discount code and click the Save button.
In the following guide videos, I will create a demon discount code that gives the logged-in customer a 5% discount on all products.
Important to remember!
Remember the discount does not apply automatically as soon as the customer logs in to their account. The customer must enter the given discount code when making a purchase.
Shopify offers one small additional option for applying all discount codes (not limited to discount codes based on customer groups only).
From the discount code administration view, you can copy the shareable link. If the customer enters your e-shop from an email, newsletter, advertisement, etc. and his purchase complies with the rules of the created discount code, the customer will automatically apply the discount code when making the purchase.
See the video manual for details on how to copy this link.
Hopefully you have benefited from this guide and your customers can now enjoy some great campaigns 🙂
Feel free to contact us with any further questions!